ETEC PhD Admission Process
Students applying to the ETEC PhD program must complete the required process by the UH Graduate Division as well as the College of Education. Pay careful attention to the steps below. Only completed applications will be considered for admission.
ETEC admits only a single cohort in the fall each year; there are no spring or summer admissions. Processing of admission applications begins October 1 for the fall semester with a deadline of February 1 (January 15 for international applicants). Applicants are advised to apply as early as possible.
Intent to Apply
Students are encouraged to email the ETEC doctoral coordinator as to their intent to apply. This will ensure you receive any updated information about the program and that the department is looking for your completed application.
- completed Graduate Admissions Application (paper or online).
- current application fee.
- one official transcript for each post-secondary institution attended.
- GRE scores no older than five years - Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for UHM is 4867.
- residency declaration form.
- statement of objectives form
- most applicants whose native language is not English are required to take either the TOEFL (also see Grad Division web site for additional requirements for international students including financial status verification).
Note that students apply to the Education doctoral program on the Graduate application (applying to the ETEC program will result in your form being sent to the Master's admissions process). Details on the required documents and where to send these are found on the Graduate admissions web page.
All applicants are required to submit the following materials directly to the COE:
- Three professional letters of recommendation.
- Evidence of competency in formal writing (i.e. masters thesis, research paper, etc.).
- Applicant vita/resume.
- An online interview may be requested of the student by the ETEC specialization or the Chairman of the COE Ph.D. Program.
These materials should be sent to:
Doctor of Philosophy Admissions Office
University of Hawaii‘i at Mānoa
College of Education, Educational Foundations
1776 University Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96822
For more information, contact the appropriate admissions office listed above about required materials or the ETEC department office if you are unable to resolve an issue with the former.